Byelaws of Alumni Association
Made on April 2005
Article I Alumni Association Membership
Section 1: The basic terms of membership are listed in the Alumni Association Constitution and can be altered only through Constitutional amendment.
Section 2: Membership in the Association is not contingent upon payment of dues.
Article Ii Alumni Association Board Membership
Section 1: The Alumni Board shall consist of 2members from each batch graduated from IMIS and the Board will elect them as provided hereafter. The Professor-Alumni In-charge of the Alumni Association and the Board's Treasurer shall serve as non-voting, ex-officio members of the Board. Each elected member of the Board present at a meeting of the Board shall be entitled to one vote. Voting by proxy is not permitted.
Section 2: The Alumni Association will have regional chapter on the basis of geographical regions or as designated by the Board.
These regions/interest groups are as follows:
- Eastern region
- Western region
- South region
- North region
The number of regions and groups, as well as the number of representatives from each region or group, may be altered by the Board to reflect changes in alumni demographics.
Section 3: Up to five (5) of the elected alumni of the Board will be nominated to form the regional chapter committee.
Section 4: At the December meeting each year, the Board shall decide which geographical areas must have Board representation and whether or not any at-large Board members are desirable. The Nominating Committee is then charged with securing nominees reflective of the Board's decision.
Section 5: At the Convocation day meet each year, the Board shall elect new Board members from the nominees presented by the Nominating Committee. The Nominating Committee shall solicit possible nominees for election to the Board from current Board members, current Chapter officers and the Alumni and Public Relations Office. The Nominating Committee shall present to the Board two nominees for each position to be filled at the election.
Section 6: In selecting nominees for election to the Board, the Nominating Committee shall consider several criteria, including the following:
- Geographical diversity reflective of the Association;
- The particular talents (e.g., area of expertise) of the nominee;
- The service previously provided by the nominee to the Association in general or the local hapter in particular; and
- The benefit to be realized from the selection of a nominee from a geographic area not represented on the Board
Section 7: Members shall be elected to a three (3) year non-renewable term. If an elected Board member resigns or is removed from the Board, the Board shall appoint a replacement after consulting with the appropriate Chapter officers, if any. If the replacement member is appointed to fill a term of office one year or less, the replacement member shall be eligible for re-election upon expiration of the term.
Section 8: The Treasurer of the Board (who shall be an employee of IMIS) shall be appointed for a three (3) year renewable term.
Section 9: Four IMIS student, who are member of the Student Alumni Association (SAA), may be allowed to attend the Alumni meet. The SAA will get all cooperation from IMIS office.
Article Iii Alumni Association Board Meetings
Section 1: The Board will meet three (3) times a year: December, April and August.
Section 2: All Board meetings are open to IMIS Executives and Faculty members.
Section 3: A quorum at any meeting of the Board consists of a majority of the Board members.
Article Iv Alumni Association Board Responsibilities
Section 1: The mandate of the Board is to further the purpose of the Association: supporting IMIS for imparting education , training, research, consultancy and other academic services and its alumni and students friends. Specifically the Board is engaged in the following:
- determining and reviewing the purpose, mission, and direction of the Association;
- establishing, reviewing, and revising the programs of the Association;
- managing the finances of the Association;
- advising the college on matters of mutual interest;
- supporting the alumni chapter network;
- electing Board members and officers; and
- actively promoting the Association and IMIS.
Section 2: A Board member should represent IMIS in a positive and enthusiastic way, both at Board meetings and within her/his home community, region and group. This includes assisting the efforts of college offices such as admissions, college relations, development, financial aid and career placement.
Section 3: Board members are expected to attend all regularly scheduled Board meetings.
Section 4: Newly elected alumni on the Board are expected to attend an orientation session conducted by the Professor-Alumni In-charge of the Alumni Association prior to her/his first Board meeting.
Section 5: Board members are expected to serve on at least two (2) committees of the Board each year.
Section 6: Board members are expected to help maintain and enhance the alumni chapter network by contacting, encouraging, and supporting chapter officers in her/his region and by assisting the Professor-Alumni In-charge of the Alumni Association in convening groups of alumni in her/his region for the establishment of new chapters where appropriate.
Section 7: Any Board member and/or officer may be removed from office by a two-thirds vote of the Board at any regularly scheduled meeting. Grounds for removal include, but is not limited to, absence from two (2) consecutive meetings of the Board without consent of the Board.
Article V Alumni Association Board Officers
Section 1: The elected officers of the Board are the President, President-elect and Secretary.
Section 2: The duties of the officers are as follows:
- The President of the Board serves for one (1) year. The President presides at all regular Board and Executive Committee meetings, exercises a general executive control of the affairs of the Association, represents the Association at official college functions, and performs duties delegated to the President by the Board.
- The President-elect is elected by the Board to serve as President- elect for one (1) year and President for the one (1) year following. In the absence of the President, the President-elect will fulfill the duties of President. The President-elect is also responsible for reviewing and maintaining the long-range goals of the Association and performs duties delegated to the President- elect by the President or the Board.
- The Secretary is elected by the Board to serve a one (1) year term. The Secretary may be reelected to a second term, but may serve no more than two (2) consecutive terms. The Secretary will record the proceedings of all Board and Executive Committee meetings and promptly return such to the Alumni and Public Relations Office for distribution and performs duties delegated to the Secretary by the President or the Board.
Section 3: The officers will be nominated at the December meeting of the Board and elected at the April meeting.
Section 4: No Board member will be eligible to serve as an officer unless she/he has been on the Board for at least one (1) year.
Section 5: The officers of the Board, along with the Professor-Alumni In-charge of the Alumni Association, will constitute the Executive Committee.
Article Vi Alumni Association Board Committees And Representations
Section 1: The standing committees of the Alumni Association are the following:
- Promotion and Communication
- Training & Research
- Student Relations
Section 2: The representations of the Alumni Association are the following:
- Training & Placements
Section 3: The advisory committees of the Alumni Association are the following:
IMIS Governing Board
IMIS Faculty Council
Section 4: Standing and advisory committees and representations are subject to change in accordance with Alumni Association goals.
Section 5: The Executive Committee has general supervision of the affairs of the Association between meetings of the Board. This committee is empowered to act on behalf of the Board, but may not take action inconsistent with a prior act of the Board, alter Bylaws, or conduct major business reserved for the Board.
Article Vii Chapters
Section 1: Chapters may be organized in regions where there are sufficient numbers of alumni to support a Chapter organization, or by special interest groups when there is a demonstrated need.
Section 2: Alumni may be designated as "Contact Persons" in regions where there are not sufficient numbers of alumni to support a Chapter organization.
Section 3: Chapters will be recognized by the Board as a result of the establishment of a functioning regional or interest area committee as defined in the Association's Guidelines for IMIS Alumni Chapters."
Section 4: A committee or contact area may petition the Association to be formally recognized as a Chapter. Official recognition will be given through a vote of the Board at any regular meeting.